(formulated in the course of two focused workshops in July and September 2016)
Our way of life is
- grassroots democratic: we implement participatory, consensus-oriented and transparent decision-making.
- collaborative: we take responsibility for our living together, we take on tasks important for the entire community, and we encourage individuals to get involved.
- egalitarian and inclusive: we reject racism, sexism and class discrimination as much as any other form of discrimination. We promote diversity and individual participation according to individual capabilities. We are organised as equal partners in flat hierarchies.
- self-determined: we keep in mind our common values. The CA is non-profit and remains independent of outside interests.
- open: The CA welcomes people who are interested in the project and want to shape it. As a social and cultural meeting point, the CA will make the neighbourhood richer and have a positive impact on life in Heidelberg.
- sustainable: we interact with nature and environment in a responsible manner. Therefore, sustainability is deeply rooted at all levels of the CA: in the architecture, in the dormitory’s operations, as a significant component of the educational concept and in our daily living together.
We want to
- think critically: rethinking boundaries and challenging social conventions is a part of this, just as much as reflecting on our subject of study and our role in society.
- think creatively: we are curious, and our interests extend beyond subjects of study and borders – we want to develop our own ideas.
- take a new approach: we become active and realise common projects – and we are willing to try out and engage with new ideas.
- develop our own capabilities: through free space, we encourage self-development and foster trust in our own capabilities. The backing and support of the community provide space to try out new ways and to overcome our own limitations.
- assume responsibility in community, social and ecological issues: we foster political participation and forming of political opinions in a freethinking environment. We enable equitable access to knowledge and strengthen tolerant coexistence. Sustainability is always part of the processes at all levels.
- communicate in an appreciative way: in our team work, we always communicate respectfully, transparently, open-mindedly and constructively. We give room for discussions and think through decisions together.